Friday, September 18, 2009

Who's Studio???

I just finished a quilt that I have been looking forward to doing for some time. Last year I designed some quilt blocks to donate to the state quilt quild for the Breast Cancer Foundation. At the first of the year they called and asked if I would like to design a quilt with these blocks in it to donate to be raffled this year to raise funds for the same foundation. I said sure, and then wondered where my mind was. I have never done anything like that before and didn't really know where to start.
When in doubt - SHOUT! So I called my daughter Amber. She has a knack for changing quilt patterns around until they suit her, so I figured that was only one step away from designing a whole quilt. Right? Anyway, she accepted the challenge and the first thing you know we were out shopping for material to complete the project.By that time I had quilts to do for others, so I put off getting my charity quilt started until the co-ordinator called the last of August and asked if I had it finished yet. I didn't have the heart to tell her that it wasn't even started yet, so just asked when she needed it and assured her it would be ready in time.Well, at that point things kicked into high gear and as soon as I was finished with canning the peaches, I sat down to quilt in earnest.Thank goodness for e-mail. Over the next couple of weeks the e-mail and the phone kept Amber and I connected several times a day discussing various aspects of the quilt and finishing the details, etc. All in all we had a lot of fun doing it and both of us were pleased with the results!
It always makes you feel so good when a project comes together. I hope someone wins it who really loves it. My husband just laughed at me when I said I was going to buy tickets for it. He thinks its really something to make the quilt and then buy it back. Oh, well! The really funny thing is - I think Amber is going to buy some tickets too! It would be so fun to see it hanging in my quilt studio (or hers).

6 comments:

Hannah said...

That's a very striking quilt...it will look great wherever it ends up!!!

www.ahandmadechildhood.blogspot.com

Leahona said...

good luck with your winning it back. I just love it! You always do a great job!

Anonymous said...

It sure has been fun working on it with you. Hope one of us gets to win it back, because I have a feeling it will be a popular one!!

Lyman and Dee Gifford said...

Wow!! What beautiful quilts you have put together. They are awesome.

Unknown said...

okay, so seriously, how much are tickets? I absolutely love it! wow, you guys really are amazing!

Lyman and Dee Gifford said...

Nicely done. You have really developed your talents again. But that doesn't really surprise me you always have. (Lyman)