Friday, August 14, 2009

What a Week!!!

This has been a busy, busy week with a few surprises thrown in just to make life exciting. I have been canning all week and have done green beans, apricot jam, raspberry jam, dill pickles and sweet pickles and even processed pickled beets for my daughter, Angel. All that plus working on a double wedding ring quilt for a customer.

Last Saturday I took two quilts over to the County Fair. I have not entered a County Fair before and so I was a little nervous, but decided that I might as well give it a try. I had shown some of my quilts at our community Heritage Days for the last two summers and a favorable response gave me courage.

On Tuesday, I couldn't wait any longer. I had to find out if I had received a blue ribbon or what. I decided that I would stop in and see if I could get in because I knew that the vendors would be setting up that day for the opening on Wednesday. As I walked into the building I got so excited. There was my quilt hanging right out front with a big beautiful ribbon on it! Wow! What a thrill! My quilt received a "Best of Division" ribbon.

I say "my" quilt, but in truth, it was pieced by my daughter Amber and quilted by me. We were both thrilled. The quilt that I had quilted for my Grandson, Taylor, received a blue ribbon. That was neat too, even if they did hang his quilt sideways. Amber pieced that one also. She has become a talented quilter with a keen eye for color. I have been grateful to be able to work on her quilts.


This is not a very good picture, but I just had to have one of it hanging there with the ribbon on it and all.


This is a somewhat better one of it a few weeks ago at our community Heritage Days celebration. My sweet husband made the stand for it and it hung outside of the building to let people know where the quilt show was.


I just love it when I can get a picture that really shows how it was quilted. Amber gave us the quilt top for Christmas and it is so beautiful. I didn't quilt it for quite awhile because I couldn't decide just how to do it. When it was all finished I decided to name it "Dancing Dogwoods" because the quilting added so much movement.

What a week! I'll post some pictures of Taylor's quilt when I get it back and get to take a few pictures. (And thanks Taylor, for letting me borrow the quilt off your bed for a week or so).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you put that on here. I am still so excited that I can hardly stand it!! Way to go us!!!

Leahona said...

I am so glad you decided to enter the quilt in the county fair!! Congrats on the ribbon. You deserve it!!